Windows Maximum Network Filter Limit
Norton Internet Security Error 5022,2
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Error 0x8004a029 or 0x80004005
Missing Oracle VirtualBox Network Bridge Adapter
Cisco VPN Client Error 27850
When clicking on Norton Internet Security => Settings => Network => Smart Firewall => Trust Control, you get an error stating that the Network Security Map cannot be initialized. The error code is 5022,2.
Other symptoms are failure to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or the Cisco VPN Client, or a missing Bridge Adapter in Oracle VirtualBox.
The problem is the maximum number of network filters that Windows allows. By default, only 8 filters are allowed, despite the fact that up to 14 are allowed. You can easily use more than 8 filters if you have firewall and VPN software installed.
To fix the problem, change the registry setting for MaxNumFilters to 14:
- BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY: Details
- Click Start => All Programs => Accessories => Command Prompt. Type regedt32 and press the Enter key
- Double-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Network
- In the right-hand pane, double-click on MaxNumFilters
- IF "Hexadecimal" IS CHECKED, change the value to e
- IF "Decimal" IS CHECKED, change the value to 14
- Close the registry editor and reboot
NOTE! Most Symantec/Norton support people will try to get you to uninstall and reinstall Norton. That is NOT necessary if you follow the above steps!